Change people's lives at home and around the world

Make a Gift

Online Donations - Q&A

What is Philanthropies?

Philanthropies, a department of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, is responsible for philanthropic contributions to the Church and its affiliated programs and institutions including:

Brigham Young University | BYU–Hawaii | BYU–Idaho | BYU–Pathway Worldwide | Ensign College | Humanitarian ServicesMissionary Fund 

Can I pay tithing through Philanthropies?

Tithing and Fast Offering donations are not processed by Philanthropies but are handled by local church leaders using a paper tithing slip or the online tithing form.

Can I use a credit card to pay tithing?

At this time, only echeck transactions are accepted for paying tithing online in the United States. To learn more about online tithing visit: Donations

Can I use a credit card to make non-tithing donations?

Yes, through the Philanthropies website, you can make donations using a credit card, echeck or PayPal on any donation form. 

How will I be receipted?

Receipts for local congregation donations and online tithing come from the finance department either online or through your local bishop or branch president. You can print a statement when you log in with your Church Account.

Receipts for donations made through Philanthropies are mailed or emailed at year-end. Online donations receive a receipt by email immediately. You can also print receipts for past donations by using the My Account feature.

Can I update or make changes to my recurring donation?

Yes, you can login to our My Account feature and use the 'modify' button to the right of your recurring donation to update your payment method, change the amount of your donation and change which funds you are contributing to.

Can I view a history of my donations?

Yes, you can login to our My Account feature and see a list of your donations chronologically in the "My Donation History" section, and you can see your donations organized by institution in the "My Lifetime Giving" section.

What if I want to send a check?

Make your check payable to the institution (BYU, BYU-Idaho, BYU-Hawaii, BYU-Pathway Worldwide, Ensign College, or to The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints).  Please include a note about how the funds are to be designated (e.g. This donation is for the Humanitarian Aid Fund). You can mail or deliver your check to:

1450 N. University Ave.
Provo, UT 84604

How do I leave a gift using a will or trust?

Please visit our Gift Planning pages for information about making a donation with a will or trust. It is always recommended to work with your financial or legal advisor. If you have already named the Church or its affiliated programs in your will or trust, you can register it here.

Can I donate stock or other gift-in-kind items?

Appreciated stock, real estate, and other gift-in-kind items are commonly donated through Philanthropies. For information visit:  What to Give: Assets

Top of page