Alumni Update: Eritai Kateibwi
Have you heard about Eritai Kateibwi?
Eritai is an alum from Kiribati who “is literally saving his island nation,” says one of his professors.
- Kiribati is afflicted with limited arable land, irregular rainfall, and rising tides that destroy crops, leaving residents to rely on unhealthy processed foods.
- At BYU–Hawaii, Eritai discovered hydroponics and developed a project to help his people grow nutritious food and alleviate malnutrition and disease.
Here’s an update on Eritai’s hydroponics project:
- Over the summer Eritai placed more than 100 hydroponic units with families.
- Eritai helped one community pool their money to help one family, then rally around another family, then another, until every one could receive a unit.
- Eritai is also helping families apply for available funds from the Australian Government.
Watch a stunning new video that captures Eritai’s journey of learning and service.
Other BYU–Hawaii President’s Report Articles
Make a Gift